Yellow and Blue were close-hauled overlapped on starboard tack approaching the starting line to start. Blue had established a leeward overlap from clear astern. Shortly before the starting signal Blue luffed and Yellow luffed in response. At position 3, both boats were nearly head to wind. The starting signal went just after position 3. Yellow then hailed ‘Protest’ and Blue bore away to a close hauled course.
- 1. What three rules of Part 2 apply in positions 1 and 2?
- 2. Having gained an overlap from astern, may Blue luff in position 2?
- 3. Should Blue have borne away to close-hauled just before the starting signal?
- 4. When must Blue start to go down to her proper course?
- 5. What Yellow’s protest be upheld or dismissed?